Tuesday 11 November 2014

UTLD Recce No 1




Sunday was the first Lakeland 100 recce, Coniston to Buttermere:  the first quarter (ish) of the hundred.  26 miles, 2000m ascent.  I had vague hopes of getting round in 8 hours, so that a 10 hour stretch from Buttermere to Dalemain would give 22 hours to get round the second half of the course.  Oh dear.

I arrived at Buttermere at 7:15 and parked up on the verge a fair way up Newlands.  The coaches were later than planned  and got to Coniston for 10:00.  It was raining a lot and the becks were overflowing.  My plan was to try to get each checkpoint ticked in 2 hour lumps.  First checkpoint at Seathwaite sub 2 hours.  Great.  Boot in 4 hours.  Great, although underfoot was horrendously wet.  Wasdale Head 5:40, great.  I was at the top of Black Sail before dark, but then teamed up with a guy from Manchester for the last bit in pitch black with loads of stars now the rain had eased.  Two women in front of us went straight down from Scarth Gap, going totally off route.  We were slower than I would have liked but finished in just under 9 hours.  I'm sure in better conditions and going at my own pace I can knock a good half hour off this time.

Timings may well be tight on the day, I'll have to see how things go with the next lot of events/ recces.  Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment