Tuesday 28 July 2015

Lakeland 100 - Ultra Tour of the Lake District

This has been a long time coming, especially for my lovely wife who has been long suffering.  She has put up with late night wind noise as I watched and re-watched John Kynaston and Dave Troman's excellent videos , looked after children and cooked for us when the Iron Man and I had been out all Saturday doing training runs or recces, listened to me go on endlessly about plans, pitfalls and doubts.  A big thanks to my wife, I certainly wouldn't be here writing this without you.  As I said in my aims for 2015, "1.  Don't die trying to do the Lakeland 100  2.  Get back to climbing after the Lakeland 100."  2015 has certainly all been about the weekend just gone, 24th July to 26th July 2015.  For that reason alone, I will not apologise for the length of this blog.

As the time come closer over the last couple of months I was getting more twitched.  This is a huge endeavour at the best of times, but for someone that isn't a proper ultra runner doubts crept in.  Could I do this?  If not, would I try again?  All I could do was train as best as I could, make a decent plan, and stick to it.  I know I'm pretty damned stubborn so I knew that would help a lot.

I haven't run over the last couple of weeks, not since a 31km training trip around Rivington a couple of weekends ago.  The weekend after someone we knew was doing the Bolton IronMan so we watched that.  I obsessively studied the maps, worked out times compared to my recce timings and what would deposit me at the finish, and swore not to let the Iron Man make me go faster than I was comfortable with.  I also supplied my wife with a graffitied version of the UTLD map so she would be able to follow us alongside the text updates.

So Friday 24th came.  I was off work, and after my wife had gone to work I tried to lie down for more sleep.  I didn't sleep well on Thursday night, dreams of remembered sections ran through my head and I was awake quite often.  I was entirely unsuccessful in having a sleep on Friday morning, so in the end I got up and re-re-re-packed the bag to make sure all was in order.    I drove us up to Coniston;  "Any preference for music?" I asked.  "Anything" replied the Iron Man.  I put Coldplay on again, it's the least offensive stuff on my iPod and he seems to like it.  I have put it on most of the times we've been out running.  The drive up was OK, apart from some slow patches on the M6.  We were in Coniston and parked up in good time.  We registered, went through kit check, got our SiEntries dibber and got weighed.  91.2kg, what?????  Tim Brook, someone else we know, was one of the marshals.  He did the 50 last year in a good time (14:32:52) and was going to improve on this in this year's 50, but knackered his leg earlier in the year.  Nice to see a friendly face.

We mooched about, and finally headed back to the car to get ready.  I put Compeed on the usual hot spots, and got sorted.  My pack was 3.6kg this time, trying to go lighter.



People being fed at Coniston:



The briefing was an amusing affair.  Terry got things underway, albeit with some reverb issues on the microphone.  


Marc was amusing as usual.  "Look at a stranger next to you, introduce yourself, then decide which one of you will finish" reflected the usual 45-55% finish rate (apart from this year....).  David Cowburn spoke to us over the fence whilst we were in the starting pen, another familiar face.  Then, after Nessun Dorma we were off at 6pm.






Leg 1 - Coniston to Seathwaite
Leg:  11.3km  659m ascent
Total:  11.3km  659m ascent
Planned time:  2 hours
Leg time:   1:46:31
Planned total:  2:00
Total time:   1:46:31
0:13:29 ahead of schedule

After the run through Coniston came the slowly steepening road up to the Miner's Bridge.  I was walking by this point, stick to the plan and don't burn out.  The climb up to the T junction was OK, the drop to Walna Scar car park was fun.  The long slog up Walna Scar Road seemed less bad than when I did the recce, although that was in awful conditions.  The descent to Seathwaite was longer than I recall but was fine.  A few biscuits and coke from the Ulverston crew, and away.  One of my major plans was to spend as little time in checkpoints as possible.


Walna Scar ascent:






Leg 2 - Seathwaite to Boot
Leg:  11.1km  385m ascent
Total:  22.4km  1044m ascent
Planned time:  2 hours
Leg time:   1:54:40
Planned total:  4:00
Total time:   3:41:11
0:28:49 ahead of schedule

I'm not a big fan of the first climb up past Wallowbarrow Crag (incidentally where I first went rock climbing a lot of years ago), nor the awkward section through the fells and then into the forestry section.  This year this was far drier due to some sterling work having been done.  Much easier, and felt a lot quicker - plus dry feet too.  The section along the river into Boot still felt quite long.  Again, a quick stop at the checkpoint for flapjack and a drink from the French fancy dress/ Petzl team.

Disco dancing and prancing towards Boot: 

http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10699
http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/ll100-10700#photo



Leg 3 - Boot to Wasdale Head
Leg:  8.6km  297m ascent
Total:  31.0km  1341m ascent
Planned time:  2 hours
Leg time:   1:42:55
Planned total:  6:00
Total time:   5:24:06
0:33:54 ahead of schedule

Going well.  This section is actually one of the easiest on the route, and is a welcome chill out before the next leg over the tops.  We headed up gently over the moors, past Burnmoor Tarn (I put the head torch on just before the Tarn), then the nice descent to Wasdale.  This one felt a lot easier than on the recce, but was still pretty boggy.   Wet feet now.  I had some soup (the first of many) and sandwiches from the Stroller disco.  Fantastic.



Leg 4 - Wasdale Head to Buttermere
Leg:  11.0km  712m ascent
Total:  42.0km  2053m ascent
Planned time:  3 hours
Leg time:   3:01:11
Planned total:  9:00
Total time:   8:25:17
0:34:43 ahead of schedule

This is in the top two big climbs - there's a lot of ascent, and it's all in one lump.  Properly dark by now, the night was pretty cloudy so no decent stars, just a line of head torches painfully working their way up Black Sail Pass.  I was very pleased to reach the metal gate that marks the top, and equally pleased to make it down the rocky and technical descent to the River Liza, the bridge, and then Black Sail YHA.  The next drag up Scarth Gap Pass was a lot longer than the route book suggested (uphill for 230m?  more like 1230m!!).  At the summit, with another gate, there was a chap in a bivvy bag with some cans and a pizza box egging us on.  Surreal.  The run down to Buttermere went fine, and it was time for more soup with bread, a tea and biscuits.



Leg 5 - Buttermere to Braithwaite
Leg:  10.5km  573m ascent
Total:  52.5km  2626m ascent
Planned time:  2:30 hours
Leg time:   2:49:21
Planned total:  11:30
Total time:   11:14:45
0:15:15 ahead of schedule

When Iron Man and I did this "quarter" of the course as a recce this was the first section and it felt OK.  After a marathon it would feel more tough!  The section by the river and out to open fell was fine, as was the next section contouring around Whiteless Breast and crossing streams.  It took a long time to get to the small cairn that marks the start of the steep climb, and the climb itself felt tough.  At one point we had to shout down to a guy that had missed the turn and was heading off towards Derwentwater.  Annoyingly, he pretty quickly overtook us with thanks for our intervention.  My legs were starting to dislike steep hills.  Once we hit the top of Sail Pass, the nice descent to Braithwaite went well and I was soon enjoying pasta, tea and biscuits.  Iron Man had the rice pudding and jam.  Thanks to Tony and Giselle.



Leg 6 - Braithwaite to Blencathra Centre
Leg:  13.7km  478m ascent
Total:  66.2km  3104m ascent
Planned time:  2:30 hours
Leg time:   2:58:06
Planned total:  14:00
Total time:   14:12:51
0:12:51 behind schedule!

With stomachs full of food we ran/ walked this next bit.   On our recce I didn't like the section by the A66, nor the next bit along the old railway.  Today it felt OK for some reason and we were soon turning left onto Spooney Green Lane.  We climbed up well, and pushed on around Lonscale Fell heading towards the self check.  This was the first time I fell asleep running.  This was to be the most unpredictable, most irritating and most bizarre part of the UTLD 100.  I had that feeling you get on a late night long car journey (or trying to stay awake to read a book in bed).  My brain seemed to shut down and my eyes closed, and there was nothing I could do about it.  Then I would come to with a jump and remember where I was.  This was highly irritating as it slowed me down a lot, but also dangerous as this section involves contouring around on a very narrow path above a big drop.  Luckily we made it to Blencathra safely as it was getting light, and  I willingly accepted two cups of sugary coffee from little Dave, along with cake.  



Leg 7 - Blencathra Centre to Dockray
Leg:  12.3km  417m ascent
Total:  78.5km  3521m ascent
Planned time:  2:30 hours
Leg time:   2:24:37
Planned total:  16:30
Total time:   16:37:28
0:07:28 behind schedule!

I will hold my hand up now - I don't like this leg.  At all.  We dropped down from Blencathra Centre, me falling asleep here and there still, then along the railway (still snoozing) to get to the boggy ascent to the old coach road.  This was wet, but not too wet.  The coach road was less of a drag than I recalled, but still nasty.  Not much more to say, other than being glad to get to the Dockray checkpoint and more soup and sandwiches.  I had more coffee too from the Newburgh Nomads.



Leg 8 - Dockray to Dalemain
Leg:  16.3km  370m ascent
Total:  94.8km  3891m ascent
Planned time:  3 hours
Leg time:   3:13:16
Planned total:  19:30
Total time:   19:50:44
0:20:44 behind schedule!

We ran down this road section, then stomped through the Aire Force section, taking in passing views of the lovely waterfall.  After this the interminable climb around Gowbarrow Fell passed relatively easily.  I was more awake now and going well.  The trog across fields was easier as a path had been carved by our quicker colleagues.  The last section on the road to Dacre was really dull, then the Iron Man "stretched his legs" by running the rest of the way to the checkpoint.  I ran/ walked this bit, feeling some blisters but generally feeling good.  At the checkpoint, I had meat stew and coffee (most of which I spilled) and some sweets.  Whilst popping blood blisters under my lesser toes, I was very much pleased to see my wife arriving in the tent along with the boys.  She told me later that we looked rough, but I didn't feel it.  This was a big boost and set me up for the last 46 miles of our journey.  Dalemain was the first huge mental boost for me, the second being Mardale Head (after my very least favourite leg of this event).  Thanks to The Endurance Store team.  I had a choice of putting my new pair of Inov8 shoes on (which were the same as the ones I'd worn so far, and therefore rubbed in the same spots) or swap to my Hokas.  I opted for the latter, which was to be a very wise choice.



Leg 9 - Dalemain to Howtown
Leg:  11.5km  294m ascent
Total:  106.3km  4185m ascent
Planned time:  3 hours
Leg time:   2:43:39
Planned total:  22:30
Total time:   22:34:23
0:04:23 behind schedule!

After a longer stop at Dalemain, it took a minute to loosen the legs up but we jogged through to Pooley Bridge.  Here we were greeted not only by the fab wife, but by Rob Turnock and family.  It makes a big difference to the psyche to see people you know, it really spurs you onwards.  The climb up to the Cockpit felt OK, then we jogged along on the slow descent to Howtown.  Cowboys greeted us here, and I ate flapjack and biscuits courtesy of the Chia Charge guys.  Thanks.  This is now my distance record to date.


Leg 10 - Howtown to Mardale Head
Leg:  15.2km  765m ascent
Total:  121.5km  4950m ascent
Planned time:  4 hours
Leg time:   3:51:57
Planned total:  26:30
Total time:   26:26:20
0:03:40 ahead of schedule

I hate this leg.  Each time I've done it I've overheated, felt ill and been crap thereafter.  This time I was determined to take it slowly.  The cooler, but still warm weather certainly helped.  I went step by step, slowly plodding up and up through the never ending steep grass and bog.  Oh my, I hate this.  Eventually we got to the top of the climb, then went over High Kop (which always lasts a lot longer than you expect) until the drop back down to Haweswater.  Now this bit is totally different in character - rocky, awkward, boring, undulating - but still horrid.  I was supremely glad to get to the Spartan's tent at CP10.  More soup, coffee and sandwiches.



Leg 11 - Mardale Head to Kentmere
Leg:  10.4km  511m ascent
Total:  131.9km  5461m ascent
Planned time:  3 hours
Leg time:   2:59:59
Planned total:  29:30
Total time:   29:26:19
0:03:41 ahead of schedule

Off we went.  There was a 50 runner stopping at CP10, which was one thing we had in the back of our minds - overtaking 50 runners would be a huge booster.  We overtook a girl doing the 50 on the brutal ascent of Gatesgarth Pass - apparently she had got to the top of Fusedale, then decided to turn back only to meet someone that pushed her on - she did Fusedale TWICE!!!  Our ascent went fairly OK, the descent was again in the dark and was as long and tough underfoot as ever.  On the climb over from Sadgill I started my falling asleep thing again,  I was also seeing rocks covered in moss as really colourful graffiti covered walls, the like of which I imagine you get in New York.  Weird.  We made it to Kentmere in one piece, and I ate some of the Montane team's pasta and biscuits and more coffee (most of which I spilled on the table).  Two blokes who were pretty battered asked to tag along with us, I guess night two in the dark on your own ain't fun.



Leg 12 - Kentmere to Ambleside
Leg:  11.8km  491m ascent
Total:  143.7km  5952m ascent
Planned time:  3 hours
Leg time:   3:23:05
Planned total:  32:30
Total time:   32:49:24
0:19:24 behind schedule!

I think I spent a lot of this leg asleep.  Garburn Pass came and went, as did Badger Rock, Little Font and the Garburn Pass Boulder (couldn't see them though).  The long descent was Ok, but we got a little confused as to where the sharp right was, but luckily we got it right.  The next thing I really recall is getting internally angry that we didn't know where we were going through Skelghyll Woods. There was a disagreement of views as to which way to go, but I wasn't helping as my mind was off somewhere else.  Finally Steve agreed with my ramblings and we headed off down over the bridge towards Ambleside.  Once on tarmac, Iron Man suggested a run - we both knew we were behind time now.  Ambleside is the last cut off, and we were going to make it but the plan was at risk.  We ran along Old Lakes Road but within a couple of minutes my toes were agony. I couldn't run due to the pain.  Despair entered my mind - behind time, messing around in the woods and now painful feet.  No way could I finish in time - what was the point of going on, I may as well stop here.  I grumpily announced to Iron Man that I would not run any more of this event.  Into the checkpoint I ate some soup and sandwiches and had coffee, thanks to the Mountain Run team.  I looked at my feet - the blisters I had treated at Dalemain had had the skin torn off by the run, so each toe was skinless and raw.  I dressed them as best as I could and swallowed some ibuprofen.  Sharon asked to tag along, the others said OK and I really wasn't bothered at this point.



Leg 13 - Ambleside to Chapel Stile
Leg:  9.0km  234m ascent
Total:  152.7km  6186m ascent
Planned time:  2:30 hours
Leg time:   2:12:53
Planned total:  35:00
Total time:   35:02:17
0:02:17 behind schedule!

This was a very odd leg for me.  The climb over to Tarn Foot I lead the navigation for and knew what I was doing.  We passed more 50 runners.  At one point four fat badgers burst out of the undergrowth, startled by our passing.  Once at Chesters, I was falling asleep again.  On the flat run by Elterwater I woke to find myself standing alone on the path in the mist.  I had no idea where I was, the dream I had awoken from felt more real than this.  I looked up and down the path and gradually came to.  What the hell is going on?  I set off in what I thought was the right direction and caught the rest of the group at the Elterwater car park.  A quick dash along to the often hard to spot bridge, past the Wainwright's Inn and along the track and we were at the Chapel Stile check point.  I refused to sit down as I doubted I'd get up, but ate stew, bread, biscuits and coffee.  Still being grumpy, I wanted to get going and it felt like ages before we were on our way.  Thanks to the Howards for the welcome.



Leg 14 - Chapel Stile to Tilberthwaite
Leg:  10.6km  387m ascent
Total:  163.3km  6573m ascent
Planned time:  2:45 hours
Leg time:   2:46:22
Planned total:  37:45
Total time:   37:48:52
0:03:52 behind schedule!

It was dawn when we left the CP, although very misty.  Steve led the way along Langdale, a lot simpler in the light.  We went well around, then up to the Wrynose self dib.  Iron Man said to me in Langdale that we needed to stay under 14 minutes per km to make it in time, so I pushed hard from Blea Tarn despite my feet screaming to the contrary.  Jumping across large rocks was actually OK as it only loaded one point of my feet, and we blasted round to the road pretty quickly, although Sharon wasn't happy with the pace I was setting.  I was a lot slower going down the road - I had known I would be and needed to buy time.  The ascent around to High Tilberthwaite Farm went on for a long time.  I was so pleased when we hit the road.  At CP14 I ate a biscuit and left, knowing I would potentially struggle on this nasty last leg.  I'm sure the Lakes Lodges spread was great, but I wasn't for stopping.



Leg 15 - Tilberthwaite to Coniston
Leg:  5.7km  283m ascent
Total:  169.0km  6856m ascent
Planned time:  1:45 hours
Leg time:   1:42:13
Planned total:  39:30
Total time:   39:30:52
52 seconds off plan.  Wow.

This was it.  I couldn't fail now.  I'd gone from abject misery at Ambleside, to real dogged determination from Chapel Stile onwards.  Off I went up the steps to heaven.  Felt OK.  Then the rocky section.  Felt OK.  Then the traverse above a void you don't see on the night run.  Felt OK.  Iron Man and Sharon overtook me but never got far ahead until the summit of the pass.  I kept going upwards until the top.  I knew the descent would be hard, and I was a lot slower than usual.  Iron Man finished nearly 20 minutes before me, having been together at the start of the descent.  I felt a bit emotional here as I knew I was going to finish and it had been quite a journey.  It was a painful stumble downhill, then on the rough track past the Miner's Bridge, then onto smooth tarmac.  I couldn't run so kept on going.  The clapping from the pubs helped, then seeing Ben and my wife, then Alex and the Iron Man near the end was a huge thing for me.  I crossed the line, dibbed, and got taken inside.  "100 finisher" shouted the marshal and I was greeted to a huge round of applause, looking slightly sheepish - I'm not an ultra runner, this isn't for me!  Tim was still there and it was nice to get my medal from him.  I had another coffee, then we got packed and my wife drove us home.  I slept for a while on the way back.

Both a little bloated and tired at the finish:



Once at home, I had a brew and a glass of wine, then a hot bath which I fell asleep in and woke up ages later feeling very cold and blue.  I got in bed, and my wife tells me I was rambling nonsense about paying for my entry to the 100,  Next year maybe?  I got up later and we had the perfect post race tea of ribs, coleslaw and chips.  I was in bed early and slept well.  Although I was wide awake and up and about at 6:30 on the Monday morning.  I have de-roofed the blisters on my left foot, and left those on the right - think of it as an experiment to see which does better!  Having weighed myself, I found I'd lost 5kg during this event.

The evening of the finish:



Back at work today.  Pssst, wanna see my medal??




Epilogue
So there we are.  The best part of 12 months obsessing about it, and it's done.  I've done a hundred mile event.  If ever I was going to do one, this was it.  It's not properly sunk in yet but I'm really chuffed - it's made all my efforts, Iron Man's efforts and the patience and support from the family worthwhile  This is as much for my wife and the boys as anyone else.

So what have I learned?  Other than the usual stuff about trying things even if you may fail etc, the main thing is that sleep deprivation gets harder as you get older!  That was some of the freakiest stuff ever.  It has also cemented the knowledge that I couldn't have done it without the close family I have now, they really are the best anyone could wish for.


Interestingly, in the car the day after I finished Coldplay came on.  My wife told me that the Iron Man is sick of me playing Coldplay every time we go anywhere.  I laughed so much I thought I may die.










The plan and the results:



Strava results (the GPS data is wrong - a bit over distance and a lot under for ascent):




The map with comments for the family to follow:






No comments:

Post a Comment