Monday 21 November 2016

Wet November evening

Since I last blogged time seems to have gone past at an increasing rate, and we are most of the way through November and heading to Christmas.  In  the interim, I've been out running a few times and found some old footage on the computer.  More of that later.

In October whilst our running I bumped into Arran D up at Stronstrey, who I've not seen for years.  He seemed keen to have a look around the quarry and planned to have a look at Helebore, one of R-man's classics and a good 7c.  I hear reports that David Better has returned to its original (green) state, which is a real shame as it's a cracker and should be on any list.  Apparently it get some inflated grade in the new routes guide, I'm sure I suggested highball 7a+/ E3.  Anyway, get on it.

The last weekend in October saw IronMan and I up at Buttermere for the first Lakeland 100 recce.  I didn't do it last year as I'd done the 100 in July, but this time I needed the distance in my legs.  We planned to stay separate so IronMan could practice nav, and he headed off on the Walna Scar climb.  I missed the poles a lot.  All went well, and it was a lot drier than on the fateful day.  Oddly I caught up with my colleague at CP2 where he was struggling with nausea and ankle/knee issues.  He came with me up the next hill, but then turned back so I was on my own.  Throughout this recce I noted that quite a few people were off route, and I was glad I knew it well.  All told it was a fun day out and I was at Buttermere in 8:20 which I was happy with.  I then had to sit in the car for a bit to await IronMan in the broom wagon, before we headed back to a cottage for shepherd's pie courtesy of my lovely wife.  Nice.




Two weeks ago was the Hell of a Hill race,  I had wanted to do the 5 in 5 day challenge but couldn't sort out leave for ages - once I did finally get it off the event was full, so I just did the Thursday marathon.  This was an interesting event, six loops up and down Rivington Pike.  Coming down the cobbles to the high school wasn't fun on loop six, and I wonder how it would be on day 5 for the 30th time.  The weather wasn't great, but it stopped raining for a while and the sun came out.  Another fun day, and an interesting medal.




Next planned event is the second recce but I'll try to keep myself busy in the meantime.  And so to the old video.  Nik and I went up to Scout Crag, opposite Widdop, way back in August 2008.  I'd been up there a few years before that to look at the Shoulder Boulder, which is a bit crap really.  The one obvious (or not that obvious) gem is Boggy's Roof, at the far left end of the crag, hidden away.  It's well worth hunting out as it's a diminutive but excellent grit roof in a lovely location, with just enough walk in to get you warmed up.  This video shows the tall and short methods, Nik smooth as ever and me struggling hard to latch the left hand sloped scoop.  Enjoy.



Boggy's Roof 7b from GCW on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment