Thursday 19 April 2012

Wainwrighting

Dry days- 62
Days of rain- 48

Today was supposed to be my 5 miles easy jog/walk, but as I was off yesterday I decided I would try to tick a few Wainwrights. The weather was so-so on the way up and I was parked up at Hartsop by 11:30. I had decided to use this as a bit of a trining session so I pushed myself a bit to see how fitness was. I followed the track up to Hayeswater, then left up the fell and on to The Knott. I was pleased to stomp up to here fairly quickly and managed to overtake quite a few people. At the summit it was trying to snow, so I stopped and put my waterproof trousers on.

I dropped down from the Knott and then headed left to Rampsgill Head and on to High Rise. It cleared for a while so I had some good views over to the North. Back to Kidstye Pike, then to the Straights of Riggindale in order to head up to High Street. On the way a Coast to Coast walker asked me where they were going as they were lost. i would have thought it prudent to be able to navigate effectively before doing such a walk, or am I being elitist?

High Street's wall reminded me that I had been up here years and years ago with my father. I remember huddling behind that same wall 25 years ago, hiding from the wind. I remember my Dad finding half a maggot in his apple- it took me years before I'd eat apples again!

From High Street over to Thronthwaite Crag, then back down over Gray Crag- the descent from here was rather slippery and tedious- and back to the car in under 3 1/2 hours. I'm feeling the fittest I have in years. Doing 7 Wainwrights in a day has brought the total for 2012 to 9, one more and 10 Munros and that's one of my aims ticked.

I've just found this article which is basically what I did. I think their distance is 2 miles too high though.

After a blast back home I went to see The Hunger Games with Doc Jnr 1, which was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment