Thursday 13 October 2011

Bog Stomping

Dry days- 146
Days of rain- 140

Yesterday I was off until school pick up. The weather, typiclly, was foul. It was blowing an gale and absolutely chucking it down. I really didn't want to mooch about the house, so I ended up thinking of alternatives- and lighted upon my Wainwright books.

As a child I've done most of these hills with the now late parents, but never kept a record. I went through a phase of nipping up one or two hills on wet days a few years back, but got out of the habit. Fed up with getting nothing done, I jumped in the car and headed to Kentmere.

The roads in were bordering on flooded, with standing water everywhere- thank goodness for Quattro!- and the rivers were verging on bursting point. Walking up to the Garburn pass, the track was a river. From the summit of the pass I headed left and up to the summit of Sallows via a swim through ankle deep bog. No view at all here.


Looking cheerful on Sallows in the rain





After this a bog trot gently down and back up got me to Sour Howes, which consisted of mounds of bog that all appeared higher than the one you were stood upon, until you got there. After a stand off with some cows i had been up every mound to make sure I'd ticked the summit, then admired the view:




I retraced my steps towards Sallows, then skirted left where the path crosses the wall and headed back down to Garburn Pass. A gentle amble back down had me back at the car, a tad wet but pleased to have got out and done something. 2 hours round trip, including all the wandering over mounds at Sour Howes. Don't feel hill fit though. May see if MadMac wants to do some Munros this winter.


Looking towards Sallows from Sour Howes

No comments:

Post a Comment